Translate

Sunday 19 October 2014

Soup Course: Things 8 & 9

Ehara taku toa, he taki tahi, he toa taki tini

It is not my strength alone, but the strength of many that contribute to my success


Kia ora koutou katoa,

The whakatauki for this week can be applied to both the Professional Profile and the Research profile ”Things 8 &9” in that we are hoping with both of these “things” to capture an audience, and through the power of  word of mouth have our professional and research profiles foremost in peoples minds. The work of the individual in this case is our profiles both professional and research shared to the world via our own contacts and Google Searches, the work of the many are our contacts or followers who can spread our research or put our names forwards if they know of positions they think match our skill and personalities.

I have had a LinkedIn account for a while and use it intermittently What I like about it is
  • It is tailored to my professional goals and aspirations for work
  • Is easy to use with good functionality
  • Gives me a profile which looks professional and that showcases my job skills and experiences
I imagine watching an awesome presentation at conference, looking up that person on linkedin and keeping tabs of their professional profile until I hear of a position at my institution which is perfect for them and either share the job ad with that person or share their profile with my human resources or senior contacts within the institution


 I had never seen the Academia.edu site before and decided that I would join. It is very easy to use and I have already uploaded PDF copies of some of my conference workshops. It would also be great as a way of keeping copies of your research so that it is available to you anywhere in the world that you have access to the internet. I have yet to fully tutu or explore this site but so far I really like it.

Facebook I personally would not use for either professional or research profiles as I tend to use it as a means of communication with my whanau. Of course I still hold true to the belief about not saying/posting/writing anything that you wouldn't want your grandmother or mother to see regardless of the audience that you are speaking to.

No comments:

Post a Comment