Translate

Thursday 20 November 2014

Gelee: Small Reisling inter-course palate refresher

Ka mate kainga tahi, ka ora kainga rua

With one house want, with two houses plenty



This whakatauki is similar to don't keep all your eggs in one Basket, I thought this an 


Eggs by jronaldlee, on Flickr

Creative Commons Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License   by  jronaldlee 

appropriate whakatauki because of my habit of saving a copy of important documents on my desk-top and a copy using one of the many cloud storage options that are open to us and of which we learned in thing 18. 

Clouds by fifikins, on Flickr

Creative Commons Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License   by  fifikins 

While studying a friend of mine had a file he was working on corrupted which rendered the 
disk he had saved all his files on inoperative. His experience highlighted for me the need to save often, save in multiple places.

Some of the uses I have had for cloud storage 

  • Meeting minutes and agenda for different councils and committees I have been a part of. I would save all the attached documents to the cloud and could access them which meant no printing (Or carrying heaps of papers on the plane)
  • Sharing and saving parts of my research for my MIS (Libs), less hassle carrying everything around with you and partnered with reference management tools (I had attached notes and the article or a scanned pdf to the items record) all I needed was a laptop or netbook, with some internet access I could continue working on my research report wherever I was in the world.
  • Writing a brief journal while away at conference in a document and uploading to the cloud when I could, using either my phone or tablet. Very handy for those reports that you have to write on your return.
  • Of course a lot of us now have smart devices which take pictures and these are quite often now sent to some space in the cloud, for easy access and use later on (also saves space on your devices memory)
I am sure there are many more uses that people can think of but this is the way I have used cloud storage to date. Scarily when I looked at the list that was in Thing 18 this week I was mortified that I have an account with all but one of those on the list, and I intend to keep them. 

Thing 19 is about Live communication, it has always been my preference for face to face communication. I found that even in my undergraduate lectures that if I couldn't see the face of the lecturer I would often leave the lecture and grab notes off a friend. New technologies now allow us to talk and see our friends wherever they are in the world either through our computers or any number of mobile devices. I have skyped a friend using my tablet, Video called my brother on my phone, Hung out using Google on my net-book at home and had a discussion with a colleague using Face-time on an i-Pad mini. I am sure that we can all see the significance of real time face to face communications with our colleagues via some form of video conferencing, especially if the programme you're using has other tools such as remote control and screen sharing of the device and using presentation software such as PowerPoint, Prezy or Slides.

No comments:

Post a Comment