Translate

Monday 29 September 2014

Hors d'ouvre: Things number 4 and 5

Ko ia kāhore nei i rapu, tē kitea
"He who does not seek will not find"


I may have botched my blog up as I thought I would try and incorporate my love of food and eating by giving the blog posts course names, however there are only so many courses that are possible. A colleague suggested that you need something to differentiate your blog from the thousands of other blogs, to do this I thought I would like to start each post or group of "Things" with a whakatauki or māori proverb.

I chose the proverb above because I have searched this week for a blog to follow and for "Thing 4" I have to convince the rest of the "23 Things" crew why they should choose to follow it as well. 

Being relatively new to blogging I have to admit that at this point in time I am not a regular reader of any blog however I have found one thanks to the power of Google. 

The Association of College and Research Libraries blog is of interest to myself obviously because I am a Subject Librarian for an academic institute, actually I have worked in a tertiary library for almost 10 years I honestly think that it will be of interest to some of you as well. 
With a brief 20 minute look I have found the following things which may make this blog attractive to you also.
  • Ease of navigation using the normal search functionality by clicking on the magnifying glass and typing in keywords as well as Categories and Tags

  • Content: the posts cover a wide range of topics from Academia through to Wikipedia. I have found posts on Publishing and other subjects and themes of interest to any researcher.
  • Offers examples of academic posts such as this one for conference blogging for those of us who attend and present at conferences.
  • There are multiple authors which means different writing styles, which means there is a variety of voice to the posts and also expertise.
Thing 5 to come

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the share Troy. One of my long time favourites is Prof Hacker (http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/) form the Chronicle of Higher Education. Its a team blog and focuses on sharing the variuous authors experiences with digital technologies and the efficiencies and opportunities to save time and effort they might provide (or not). Cheers, Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would pay attention to spell check suggestions more often.

      Delete
    2. I think we are all guilty of ignoring the spell check suggestions at times :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Troy, your blog is looking really flash! Great work :). I need to get that twitter feed going on the side of my blog too. I have completed Thing 4 and planned to just take 5 mins and two hours later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Hana, thanks :) I am really enjoying what we have done so far and am using the course as a catalyst for a change to how I use social media, by getting used to checking feeds, twitter and my blog on a regular basis ohhh and writing of course :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Troy, I find your blog very interesting and actually quite helpful. I look forward to following the decastation of whakatauki's that follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora/ gottag/ greetings Gudrid... Daenerys... Nicole,
    Thank you so much for your comment, I really enjoy the way you blog :) the use of pictures and video to emphasise your point is really cool, I have to admit that I I get worried that my blog style is a bit heavy on text.

    ReplyDelete